FAQ – Travel to Tanzania & Zanzibar
Stand 20/12/2021 – Fly Dubai & Emirates request 48 hours prior departure PCR Test AND 6 hours prior departure Rapid test for every passenger on board.
In current times of uncertainty we decided to answer all Frequently Asked Questions here on our webpage. As we all learned now that rules and regulations can change, we do not take any responsibility for changes incurring. However we try our best to keep this page updated. And most important we always get this questions – Zanzibar and Tanzania are one country and therefor any kind of entry rules are the same for all international airports.
Are there any restrictions concerning COVID-19 in Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
But travellers need to complete the online Health form https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz/ (when international arriving in JRO or DAR) and https://healthtravelznz.mohz.go.tz/traveller/#/home (when international arriving in Zanzibar)
However, we as ZanTours committed in May 2020 to the regulations of WTTC, World Travel and Tourism Council, which requires:
- Wearing of face masks in our vehicles for driver, guide and guest
- Physical distance of 1 meter where possible
- Hand sanitizer as equipment in all vehicles
- Disinfection of all surfaces within the vehicles
Above measurements are also part of our new Tanzanian National Standard Operating Procedures and we proudly can inform you, that we only work with hotels and suppliers who also follow these rules.
All our ZanTours team members working at this difficult time are personally trained by me. We are proud to have sucessfully completed our vaccinations to protect our employees and of course also our guests.
Be safe with us,
Sabine Emmerich / GM ZanTours
Do I need a Yellow Fever Vaccination to enter Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
Unless you departed from a Yellow Fewer Risk Country, or had a longer transit stay than 12 hours. Please find below the current list of Yellow Fever Risk Countries, which you can find also on following link https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advice/disease-prevention-advice/yellow-fever/yellow-fever-risk-areas.aspx
- Burkina Faso
- Central African Republic
- Cote d’Ivoire
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Equatorial Guinea
- French Guiana
- Republic of Congo
- Sierra Leone
- South Sudan
Do I need a Negative COVID-19 Certificate to enter Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
Answer: YES! ( Stand 25/03/2022)
- All travelers are required to truthfully fill in an online Traveler’s Surveillance Form available at https: afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz to Tanzania and https://healthtravelznz.mohz.go.tz/traveller/#/home to Zanzibar.
- All travelers are required to present a negative PCR Test with QR code in english, not older than 72 hours prior departure to your flight to Tanzania or Zanzibar.
- Vaccinated travellers with digital vaccination proof are exempt.
- All travelers will be subjected to enhanced screening for COVID-19 infection including potentially a rapid test upon arrival. The cost for rapid test is 25 USD per traveler.
- All travellers arriving on FZ,EY and EK have to do EDE test upon arrival for 35 USD pp – no matter of the vaccination status.
- Travelers on transit in other countries more than 72 hours will be required to be re-tested by rapid test upon arrival in Tanzania.
- While in the country, all travelers should adhere to Infection Prevention and Control measures such as hand hygiene, mask wearing and physical distancing as deemed appropriate.
Please find the current regulation for ZNZ here
Do I need a Negative COVID-19 Certificate to leave Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
- Unless required by your country – Please check your respective foreign office webpage or check in TIMATIC – https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm
- Unless required by the airline – please check the respective airline webpage concerning COVID 19.
Can I do an internationally recognized PCR Covid-19 Test with Certificate in Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
Person in need of the test have to fill the application form and pay online on following page: https://zanzibarcovidtesting.co.tz/app/application. Please note that after you filled your application and it is confirmed – go back to the HOME PAGE – VIEW RESULT – FILL UR PASSPORT AND CAPTCHA – the page will direct you to the online payment system where you have to pay by credit card. The time of sampling can be maximal 72 hours prior departure flight time and not less than 48 hours.
Print the full application with payment confirmation and present your self punctual in the test center you chose!
Only certifications verified online by the government of Zanzibar are legit.
- $80 in all national collection points
- $120 in Global hospital
- $120 for mobile unit in your hotel
- $100 for Express PCR test at the airport (result in 90 min)
Travellers & drivers or any one in their company must wear masks as they visit the testing centre to protect those working there.
We want to remind all travellers – that ONLY the Ministry of Health is able to test and issue the respective certificates. Certificates are verified at the airport from the Health Ministry Officers if genuine or not! In case they are NOT genuine, the guest won’t be able to board the flight!
Do I still get my tourist visa upon arrival in Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
However we recommend to apply for the E- Visa online to speed up your immigration process. Please find the official online application link here: https://eservices.immigration.go.tz/visa/