FAQ – Travel to Tanzania & Zanzibar
Stand 04/05/2021 – NEGATIVE PCR TEST UPON ARRIVAL NEEDED – ADDITIONAL COMPULSORY RAPID TEST UPON ARRIVAL – INDIAN TRAVELLERS NEED TO QUARANTINE
In current times of uncertainty we decided to answer all Frequently Asked Questions here on our webpage. As we all learned now that rules and regulations can change, we do not take any responsibility for changes incurring. However we try our best to keep this page updated. And most important we always get this questions – Zanzibar and Tanzania are one country and therefor any kind of entry rules are the same for all international airports.
Are there any restrictions concerning COVID-19 in Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
However, we as ZanTours committed in May 2020 to the regulations of WTTC, World Travel and Tourism Council, which requires:
- Wearing of face masks in our vehicles for driver, guide and guest
- Physical distance of 1 meter where possible
- Hand sanitizer as equipment in all vehicles
- Disinfection of all surfaces within the vehicles
Above measurements are also part of our new Tanzanian National Standard Operating Procedures and we proudly can inform you, that we only work with hotels and suppliers who also follow these rules.
All our ZanTours team members working at this difficult time are personally trained by me. We are proud to have sucessfully implemented new company SOPs to protect our employees and of course also our guests.
Be safe with us,
Sabine Emmerich / GM ZanTours
Do I need a Yellow Fever Vaccination to enter Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
Unless you departed from a Yellow Fewer Risk Country, or had a longer transit stay than 12 hours. Please find below the current list of Yellow Fever Risk Countries, which you can find also on following link https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advice/disease-prevention-advice/yellow-fever/yellow-fever-risk-areas.aspx
- Burkina Faso
- Central African Republic
- Cote d’Ivoire
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Equatorial Guinea
- French Guiana
- Republic of Congo
- Sierra Leone
- South Sudan
Do I need a Negative COVID-19 Certificate to enter Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
Answer: YES! ( Stand 04/05/2021)
- All travelers are required to truthfully fill in an online Traveler’s Surveillance Form available at https: afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz within 24 hours before arrival to Tanzania and Zanzibar.
- All travelers are required to present a negative PCR Test in english, not older than 72 hours prior arrival in Tanzania.
- All travelers will be subjected to enhanced screening for COVID-19 infection including rapid test upon arrival. The cost for rapid test is 25 USD per traveler.
- Travelers on transit in other countries more than 72 hours will be required to be re-tested by rapid test upon arrival in Tanzania.
- While in the country, all travelers should adhere to Infection Prevention and Control measures such as hand hygiene, mask wearing and physical distancing as deemed appropriate.
- All flights to and from India are banned.
- All passenger who have been in India during the last 14 days have to quarantine for 14 days at own cost.
You can find the original document here.
Do I need a Negative COVID-19 Certificate to leave Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
- Unless required by your country – Please check your respective foreign office webpage or check in TIMATIC – https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm
- Unless required by the airline – please check the respective airline webpage concerning COVID 19.
Can I do an internationally recognized PCR Covid-19 Test with Certificate in Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
Person in need of the test have to fill the application form and pay online on following page: https://zanzibarcovidtesting.co.tz/app/application. Please note that after you filled your application and it is confirmed – go back to the HOME PAGE – VIEW RESULT – FILL UR PASSPORT AND CAPTCHA – the page will direct you to the online payment system where you have to pay by credit card. The time of sampling can be maximal 72 hours prior departure flight time and not less than 48 hours.
Print the full application with payment confirmation and present your self punctual in the test center you chose!
Only certifications verified online by the government of Zanzibar are legit. NO hotel testing possible!
$80 in all national collection points and $120 in Global hospital
Travellers & drivers or any one in their company must wear masks as they visit the testing centre to protect those working there.
We want to remind all travellers – that ONLY the Ministry of Health is able to test and issue the respective certificates. Certificates are verified at the airport from the Health Ministry Officers if genuine or not! In case they are NOT genuine, the guest won’t be able to board the flight!
Do I still get my tourist visa upon arrival in Zanzibar and/ or Tanzania?
However we recommend to apply for the E- Visa online to speed up your immigration process. Please find the official online application link here: https://eservices.immigration.go.tz/visa/